Saturday, August 22, 2009

Estate sales....the happy and the sad....

Friday a.m. dd and I happened upon an estate sale sign, so we followed it. It led us into a trailer park. The aged oak trees were so beautiful....we got out and went in...the woman obviously had come from means at one time....there were several fur coats and fur stoles for sale, and lots of very well made and (at one time) expensive suits. She also had lovely china and curio cabinets filled with interesting things. The signature above is found in the lovely birthday book below,
it's so tiny and pretty, with a proverb for every month.
The ration book above was in a curio cabinet and is filled with interesting information....and tokens, not sure what those were for. The case is buttery leather.
I couldn't pass up this tiny leather Bible....


This woman had several card sets, like the Canasta set above, how cute are they?
The box above is my favorite find of this sale, I can only imagine what treasure was inside...at one time....but the fact that she saved it is so touching....

The box below intrigued me as well, I just wonder what it held...I have no idea but look at the stamp on the back of it...


I think this woman was well-traveled at one time (at least I like to think so.) I also bought a beautiful black cloth umbrella with a carved wooden handle for $1.

I just can't help but wonder about who this woman was and what brought her to where she ended up.......do you ever wonder like I do about the people at estate sales and what happened to them? Although it was a humble trailer, she had some lovely collectible items.....makes me wonder. I'm choosing to think that she was a widow and decided to downsize years ago and just keep those things that were the most precious to her...that's what I'm choosing to think.

8 comments:

Patina said...

I'm with you, I'd like to think she was just downsizing too. You got some very lovely things. It looks like it was a pretty good sale.

Kathy said...

What sweet things you found. I always wonder when I'm at an estate sale about the person who once owned the treasures.~Kathy

melanie said...

you sure got the lovelies...and you are so very kind to worry about someone that you don't even know!!! What a sweetheart you are!
still, looks like there are some terrific memories in those wonderful items- enjoy them!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Gail,
Everytime I try to reply to one of your comments on my blog I get it bounced back!!! GRRRR....thanks for leaving them. Love the canasta set with the dogs - sucker for old playing cards with fun graphics!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I'm always attracted to old boxes, no matter what they once held. And your little dog picture is a real cutey too!

Unknown said...

I just love all of thes treasures! I see you live in Canada, I grew up in canada! Miss it. I am following you now! Please pop in and see me sometime! Suzie. :)

Unknown said...

What a touching post. Lovely finds. I too am attracted to vintage papers, linens, cigar boxes,etc.

Anonymous said...

I am same as you, wondering about those who treasured, held and lovingly used the items that now grace my home. There is such soul in old things, it is the only way I can explain my love for these time-worn bits of someone else's life....

Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault