Thursday, March 8, 2012

Do you have a favorite "fragrant" flower (now that's hard to say 3 times)

Well I certainly do and her name is "Daphne"
I have yet to find a fragrant flower to match her beauty....




Here she is preening for her close-up (she's so smitten with herself, but who could blame her?)
We used to have an elderly neighbor lady across the street from us who was soooo sweet! One day while I was out working in my front yard she came over and gave me a clipping of her humongous daphne bush in front of her house.....that was my first introduction the to wonder that is the daphne plant. The fragrance is so wonderful that you can smell it from the street should you be walking by. I knew I must own one (or two or three!) Luckily the one I planted in our courtyard took off like gangbusters and loves it's location (they can be finicky when moved so luckily we haven't had to do that!) Every time we walk up our courtyard you can smell it's heavenly scent...don't get me wrong, as large as our bush is it's still not overwhelming.

Of course, my favorite thing to do is to bring 3-4 sprigs inside....my kitchen, dd's bedroom, bathrooms, and the smell is so subtle but wonderful when you walk in there. Of course it bother's my dh who is allergic to every molecule known to man....sigh....I told him the other day that had I known he was so allergic to 'everything' and didn't like fragrances that I'm not too sure I would have married him! That's how different we are when it comes to smells and fragrance. Oh well, I still made the right decision.....;).


This is a photo of one of three other Daphnes that I planted in the very front of our courtyard.....there are many varieties available today and ask me how thrilled I was to find this one that blooms several times a year.....SCORE!
When planting a new plant or bush, my first consideration is always for it's fragrance...how about you? What do you look for?

6 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

You sound so happy about this plant :)
Well with my allergies, I stay away from all plants that smell.
We have rosemary in our front yard and I hate it with a passion. Just one bump into it and it explodes with such a strong smell.
I would love to have a backyard full of lush green plants but oh well, I do better looking at others on blogs lol
Amy

laurie -magpie ethel said...

I love, love Daphne too. Mine is just starting to bloom. Like you I love a sprig of it on my kitchen windowsill...that scent is heavenly..simply heavenly!

Carole said...

You are lucky it took they are very hard to grow.
I of course love fragrance but it has to be more for me. Hubby on the other hand loves a sweet smelling flower. He's crazy for Brugmansia's because of the way they fill the greenhouse with their scent.

x
Carole

Andy's Attic said...

I, too, love Daphne. We have not been able to make it grow either in West Linn, or Battle Ground. What is your secret? I also love the smell of Wall Flowers. They have a great smell that fills the air. I hope to get some in the ground this year.
Annette

Rhonda said...

We grow rosemary, lavender and other herbs and I love them all. I cut a sprig off and rub the leaves for the fragrance. I've been stuffing sachets with lavender, so now my studio smells of Frenchness.

Teresa Silverthorn said...

Having never smelled a Daphne - but will definitely check it out - I enjoy the scent of a Peony :)